PhD Program in Electrical Engineering
The doctorate program in electrical engineering has emphasis areas in Power and Energy Engineering, Telecommunications and Remote Sensing, Electronics Engineering, and Computer Engineering. The program requires a minimum of 49 credits beyond the BS, distributed as follows:
- 24 credits in core courses and technical electives in the area of specialization, including 6 credits at 8000 level.
- 6 credits in electives outside the area of specialization.
- 6 credits in advanced math courses (at least 3 credits should be 6000 level or above).
- 1 credit of doctoral seminar (INEL 8998).
- 12 credits of graduate thesis (INEL 8999).
In addition, the students must pass a qualifying exam, a comprehensive exam, and their dissertation defense.
Fall Admission – 15 February each year, and 15 March (late application fee)
Spring Admission – 15 September each year, and 15 October (late application fee)
Preparing your statement of purpose:
When preparing your statement of purpose you must:
- Indicate the areas of emphasis of your interest
- Identify faculty that could serve as your thesis advisor
- Clearly state your goals and describe any experience in the emphasis area of interest.
Applications to the PhD Program with statements of purpose that do not meet these requirements may be rejected.
Areas of Emphasis
PhD Qualifying Exam
PhD Qualifier Exam Description (in Spanish – revised 15 October 2022)
Written Exam Evaluation Rubrics (revised 5 October 2021)
Oral Exam Evaluation Rubrics (revised 5 October 2021)
Exam Schedule for Fall 2022
Due to the academic recess because of Hurricane Fiona, the Qualifying Exam was moved to January 2023. Please check the new exam description above. Students taking the exam will be allowed to register in INEL 8999, Doctoral Dissertation, during the Spring Semester 2023. The new dates for the exam are:
5 December 2022 – deadline to inform Graduate Committee the exam topic and evaluating committee.
8 December 2022 – Graduate Committee will inform selection of representative for the exam
23 January 2023 – deadline for electronic submission of written exam
6 February 2023 – deadline for submission of exam scores to Graduate Committee (evaluating committee)
10 February 2023 – Oral exam
13 February 2023 – Announcement of exam results
PhD Comprehensive Exam
Alfred P. Sloan UPRM PhD Enrichment Program:
Applications for the 2018-2019 academic year are accepted throughout the Fall Semester.